Are you a first-time applicant? Before applying, please carefully read through our program guide and details, core competencies, and volunteer qualifications below. Note: Applications are reviewed and interviews granted on a rolling basis; if you wait until the last minute to apply there may not be adequate time to coordinate an interview prior to volunteer selection. It is highly recommended that applications be submitted as soon as is possible.
Please follow the 6 simple steps below in order to complete your AYUDA application:
1) Required Reading:
2) Prior to filling out the application form, it is advisable that you download the application first so that you can prepare the few written answers in advance, as you will be unable to save an incomplete form. To download a PDF preview of the application, click here.
3) Complete and submit the AYUDA Online Application: This online webform will ask you to specify your program choice and provide background information about yourself and your interests. The majority of the questions are multiple choice.
4) Ensure you have submitted the $35 application fee (fee payments can be made online here or by sending a check directly to the AYUDA office (find the address below, under step 6). Please ensure you include the applicant name in the "Volunteer Name" box if someone else is paying your fee online, or to include a note with your check, so that we know to whom the payment corresponds.
6 ) We recommend including an optional personal reference in your application. This letter can be sent to the attention of Jon Stein by mail to the AYUDA headquarter office address: AYUDA, 1700 N Moore St, Suite 2000, Arlington, VA, 22209. This letter of reference can be written by a former or current professor, employer, or applicable professional (eg, doctor, health worker, non-profit staff, etc.)
We are honored that you are considering applying to an AYUDA program – we look forward to reading your application.
What happens next?
Once you submit your completed application, you will receive confirmation that your application has been received. Once reviewed, you should expect to hear from an AYUDA representative within one week. Please be ready with suitable times you could be available for a phone interview (about 30 minutes) to further explore questions you may have about the program and AYUDA. We will attempt to follow up with in-person interviews wherever possible.
Volunteers will be selected by the Volunteer Selection Committee using a specific protocol based on: suitability for the experience, skill set, potential for growth, and diversity of the volunteer team. The committee will include AYUDA board members, staff, former and experienced volunteers, volunteer mentors and local partners. While AYUDA will strive to select the most qualified volunteers, the selection committee will also take into account diversity of each volunteer. Diversity includes:
- Educational diversity (high school, college, graduate, post-graduate students, professionals)
- Diabetes diversity (volunteers with and without diabetes)
- Cultural and geographic diversity
Selection criteria for volunteers:
- Overall fit and commitment to AYUDA
- Specific skills and qualifications for project
- Level of energy and motivation
- Multicultural outlook
- Language proficiency (where applicable)
Accepted volunteers will receive an email notification on February 10th and will be sent an AYUDA Welcome Packet. This includes all of the necessary materials and directions to officially confirm your participation.
Click here to fill out the online application NOW!